Drumsticks and Penalty Kicks Chapter 3 - Ghost Beat

Monday, June 04, 2012

~~~~OOO~~~~OOO~~~~

Chapter 3 - Ghost Beat

BPOV

"Bella, are you okay?" Angela whispers as she leans toward my desk.

Am I okay?

I can feel everyone's eyes on me and I know, I know, my face is beet red thanks to Edward.

Damn sexy, smirky, swoony, stupid boy.

Damn voice that's all warm and melty, luscious and decadent like the gooey center of a chocolate lava cake.

Damn kisses that make me weak in the knees and make every part of my body tingle as if I'm a neon sign that's just been plugged into an electrical outlet, buzzing and sparking.

Damn boyfriend that makes me happier than I ever thought I could be.

I breathe in and out a few times and will my heart to slow down. As I pull my notebook out of my backpack, my hands still shake and when I glance at Angela, she gives me a worried look.

"Angela, I'm fine," I insist, trying to convince myself at the same time.

She nods, a soft smile on her face. By the time Mrs. Schafer starts handing out the class information sheets, I've calmed down … somewhat. Not a lot mind you, because about every four seconds I can hear Edward's voice or feel his lips, see his eyes, his smile, and the whole 'light me up and set me on fire' thing starts all over again.

Ugh.

I take the stapled papers and glance at the list of topics we'll be covering. Thankfully, it's not too bad, and most of it I've already done back in Phoenix. Math is definitely not my strongest subject so it feels good that for the first few weeks everything will be pretty much a review.

When Mom got hurt, I missed so much school that I had to be homeschooled. Granted, it didn't help that I refused to leave her side, so Phil didn't really have much choice but to let me stay home and do my work from there and the hospital. I was taking mostly AP classes anyway, so it was just a matter of keeping up and turning in my assignments via email and meeting with teachers over Skype.

Needless to say, being back in school is just a tad overwhelming and something I'm going to have to work at getting used to again.

Not to mention being around so many people at one time. Mom's accident was huge news in Phoenix when it happened, mostly because Phil was so popular and well-loved. It was hard, really hard, dealing with all the cameras and the reporters asking questions every time we'd arrive and leave the hospital, so much so that over time I spent most days never leaving Mom's room. It was just easier that way. Harder in some ways, too, of course, seeing as how I'd hardly ever leave her side and watched, praying every day, that she'd wake up.

I sigh and glance around the room as our teacher starts on today's material. I feel the stares and I hear whispers, and as much as I try not to let it bother me, I can't quite help it. Not only am I the new girl, I'm the new girl with a juicy story, at least in most people's minds. On top of that, to anyone with a brain and a pair eyes, there's definitely something going on between Edward and me. So yeah, there's plenty to start tongues wagging.

The class passes quickly and I try not to get nervous about the fact that the next period will be spent with Edward.

As much as the thought makes me feel warm and tingly all over, it also scares the bejesus out of me, too. Not him per se, but just being with him. I have no idea what his expectations are, how we should act … or not act in front of other people. There's so damn much we need to talk about, and probably should have talked about before today.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Angela asks sweetly as we both start walking toward the door. "I don't know about you, but math is not my favorite subject … I actually I hate it."

"Yeah, me, too," I answer as we wait with the crowd trying to exit. "It's so confusing sometimes."

"Well, you can always get Edward to help you with your homework." She giggles and nudges me with her shoulder. "He's always been good at anything with numbers, ever since we were little."

There's another one of those things I learn about him that I file away to think about later. My stomach sort of anxiously twists at the thought, though it's not really in the best kind of way. It's in more of an 'I wonder if I know him as well as I think I do' kind of way.

"Hey," she lowers her voice and tugs on my elbow to make me stop walking.

I don't know exactly what she sees in my eyes to make her frown, but whatever it is, she sure has a worried look on her face. "Bella, I know I just met you, and I don't really know the circumstances about how you and Edward know each other, but it's as plain as day how much he likes you. I've known Edward most of my life, and I've never seen him smile as much as he has just in the first two hours of school … the first day of school, mind you, when we're all supposed to be bitching about wanting to still be at home sleeping. You should have seen him this morning, all fidgety and nervous, but so damn happy. I couldn't figure out why, but seeing you two in the hall before class tells me all I need to know. You're going to fit in just fine here, and if you need a friend to hang out with or talk to, or study math, call me, okay?"

I'm so overwhelmed that I can't speak for a few seconds. She's so sincere, so open and honest and so sweet. I feel the corners of my eyes burn but I smile at her and say softly, "Thanks, Angela, that means a lot. As for the studying, you have a date. I'll need all the help I can get."

We make it out into the hallway and my eyes immediately search for Edward. I follow the flow, looking from left to right. I hear a few people murmur as I go past them and a few others wave and say hi. For the most part, everyone's been really nice. I mean, it's only been two hours, so it's kind of hard to tell at this point how things really will be. I start to freak a little when I still can't find Edward, but then, I smile.

His close physical presence isn't quite the same sense of him that I felt all summer when he watched me; however, the tingles and the jumbled mass of nerves is exactly the same. I'd be lying if I said I don't miss our nightly encounters. I miss them a lot, actually. I miss the feel of his eyes on me, of knowing that he watched my every move, and that I could talk to him through music, or dance, or by simply wearing a t-shirt.

"Hey, you," he says as he steps behind me, his breath warm and soft in my ear.

I can't help but sigh. My whole body feels lit up from the inside being this close to him. I've never felt this way before about anyone, ever, and sometimes it scares me how much he makes me feel. Excited and scared and nervous and needy and turned-on and a whole bunch of other stuff all at once. It's confusing and wild, but at the same time, just thinking about him makes everything else fade away into the background.

I don't know how he does it. I don't know how I'll ever be able to tell him how much he's changed my life … changed me, even before I set eyes on him, just by being the amazing person he is.

"What's wrong?" he asks as he pulls me to a stop outside of our Spanish class.

I shake my head and look down at my now very interesting feet. "It's nothing," I mumble. I don't have any idea how he hears me over the noise in the hallway, but he does.

I watch as his finger moves toward my chin. He gently lifts my head and leans forward, so close our noses almost touch. "Bella, tell me. Please?"

"I miss my mom," I blurt. It's so totally not what I meant to say, but as soon as the words are out, I know they're absolutely true.

His arms are around me in an instant and I press my forehead against his chest. God, he smells so good. I inhale the familiar scent and imagine being in my building. I have no idea where the sudden rush of emotion is coming from; one minute we're walking down the hall, and the next, I feel like I'm about to fall completely apart.

He turns us so that my back faces the wall, shielding me from prying eyes and I press myself tighter against him. "It's okay, baby," he says quietly as he nuzzles closer to my ear and the side of my neck.

The urge to go home to my mom is strong, so strong, but leaving the warmth and comfort of Edward's arms is not an option. He makes me feel secure and so very safe. I wonder if I'll ever be able to explain to him how much. He can't possibly know.

"Are you all right?" he asks when I pick my head up.

I try to turn away from him, embarrassed by my moment of weakness, but he won't let me. His hands cup my face and he holds me still as he looks at me, green eyes so bright and full of nothing but concern and I think - I hope - love for me.

"Bella, don't you dare. Remember what we said over the summer? We promised to always be honest and not hold back, so stop it. You're allowed to be sad and nervous and overwhelmed. Fuck, it's like you've been thrown out of a plane without a parachute. This, being here, is a lot. I know it is, and I guess we should have talked about what today would be like for you and I'm sorry that things have been so crazy that it seems like I don't understand. I probably don't, but please, please don't ever think you have to hide from me.

"I've watched you a long time now, you know." He grins and I can't help but smile at that very blatant understatement. "I know when you're sad or upset or happy or angry … I know you, Bella, so don't even try that shit with me. It won't work, trust me. I'm pretty tenacious when I want to be, when something's important, and you," he lowers his voice and moves closer, "are the most important thing to me, so no shutting me out, okay?"

I nod, wishing I could find the words that seem to come so easily to him, but my throat feels like it's coated in peanut butter and my tongue feels like it's at least doubled in size.

He kisses the tip of my nose and then says, "Come on, we're gonna be late."

We walk into class together, and though almost every pair of eyes is on the two of us as we find the way to our seats, I kind of don't mind so much. Still not crazy about the whispers behind hands from a some of the girls and a few murmurs from the guys, most of which I'm sure I'm better off not hearing. Edward walks toward the back of the room and points to a seat in front of him. After we sit and the same introduction and passing out of paper commences, Edward leans forward and says, "Mmmm, I could get used to this. Having you with me in class, sitting in front of me so I can whisper in your ear. My day just keeps getting better and better."

Oh holy hell.

Now there's a big puddle of Bella goo in the middle of Spanish class.

Jesus.

Throughout class, I feel Edward twist my hair around his fingers and rub my shoulder. It's very distracting. But there's not a chance in hell I'll tell him to stop. I mean, come on, could he be anymore adorable and tempting? I might be new to all this boyfriend/girlfriend business, but I'm not stupid.

The period seems to fly and by the end I can honestly say I didn't hear one word. Zilch. Zero. Nada. God help me if we have a pop quiz tomorrow.

Edward and I part ways again with an agreement to meet in the hall outside of the cafeteria before lunch. There are more looks, more whispers as he holds my hand. He has a free senior period and needs to go see Mr. Banner in the office while I sit through AP Biology.

Joy.

Not.

Emmett and Rose are in my class which makes me happier than I can describe. I mean, I am fully capable of being on my own and making it through, but it's nice to know I don't have to. Same introductions, same handouts … it's like the movie Groundhog Day.

"How are things going so far, Bella?" Emmett asks once class is done and we all stand to put our things away.

I shrug my shoulders and say, "Not too bad. I hear the whispers and I can tell everyone's staring at me, but I expected it. I'm sure it'll take a few days for the newness to wear off, then, hopefully, I can just be me and not the new girl, you know?" I smile at them when I see Emmett take Rose's hand and pull her close to his side.

They look so good together - Emmett with his dark hair, muscles and a smile that's as genuine as it is huge, and Rose with her long blonde hair, ice blue eyes and perfectly proportioned body. I know from talking to Edward that she's very fierce, loyal, and especially protective of those close to her and the fact that she welcomed me so warmly, so fully, right from the get-go makes me believe that the two of us will be very good friends. I hope so; Edward adores her and talks about her all the time.

Rose chuckles a little bit and we stop, stepping to the side to avoid the rush to the cafeteria. Apparently lunchtime at Forks High is quite the event … or maybe the food's just that good. Doubtful, but I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

"Bella, I'm sorry to tell you, sweetie, but you'll never be just you." I open my mouth to ask her what in the world she means, but she reaches out and clasps my hand in hers. "Not only have you managed to snag the most sought-after guy in our class, well, the unclaimed one anyway," she rolls her eyes when Emmett huffs beside her, "but you're gorgeous, talented, have a Major League ball player for a step-father, a mom at home that's so loved you can't bear to let go of her, and you happen to live in one of the best houses in all of Forks, second only to the Cullens'. No, babe, just you, you'll never be."

I can only stare at her wide-eyed and slack-jawed. First, at the fact that she's so blunt, but so caring at the same time, and second, that she knows so much about me.

"Edward talks about you a lot, Bella. Like a lot, a lot. It'd be sickening really if it wasn't so damned cute." She grins at me and I still haven't managed to say anything back to her.

"Fuck that, it is sickening," Emmett scoffs. "You should have heard him when we went to Seattle before camp. It was a constant stream of "Bella said this," and "Bella would like that," and "I wonder what Bella would say if she saw this." I love the guy, I do, but even I wanted to kick him in the balls a few times, just to make him shut up." His eyes twinkle when he looks at me so I know he's kidding … at least for the most part.

Not gonna lie, knowing that Edward talked about me so much while he was away makes that flame of want and need ignite and spread throughout every part of my body.

"Hey, there you are," comes my favorite voice in the whole wide world. I whip around and throw my arms around him, not caring that Emmett and Rose are standing right there, not caring if anyone else sees, not caring about anything but Edward.

"Should I expect hugs like this after every class, because I think I could get very used to this." He chuckles in my ear as he lifts me off the ground and I feel his lips give me a sweet kiss on my cheek.

"Best first day of school, ever," he says when he sets me down on the ground.

I nod. "It sure is, and to think, it's only half over."

We hold hands as we walk into the cafeteria and I can't help but think that this might just be the best year ever.

~~~~OOO~~~~OOO~~~~

1 comments:

  1. nsturms said...:

    This is really cute. Wish I had an Edward in high school! It would have made things a lot more fun!!!!