DaPK Chapter 4 - Hard Tackle

Thursday, June 07, 2012

~~~~OOO~~~~OOO~~~~

Chapter 4 - Hard Tackle

EPOV

"Cullen, you ready for today?" Coach Meeks asks as I walk into the locker room.

"Heck yes." I grin, already pumped and in game mode.

He nods and crosses his arms. "Good to hear. I know this is only a scrimmage, but I want you treating this like it was a match, got me? And keep your eye out for who you want on the starting line-up and what positions you want them in. As captain, you have a lot of input, so pay attention - especially to the underclassmen. We need to make sure we give them some playing time on Varsity, so next year when you all leave me, I'm not left with my ass hanging in the wind."

I ignore the instant, and very pronounced clench of my stomach at the mention of next year. Christ, there's still so much I have to think about and decide on … but it's not going to be now. Nope, because now, it's game time.

"I'll see you on the field," I tell him and head toward my locker to change.

Most of the other guys are already dressed, so I hurry to catch up. When I sit on the bench to put my cleats on, Jasper jabs my side with his elbow. "So, you ready?"

I raise my eyebrows. "What the hell? Why wouldn't I be? It's just a scrimmage, Jas … no biggie."

I bend over to tie my cleats and look up at him when he snorts. "That's not what I meant, dude. Bella's coming, isn't she?"

Ah …

Yep, now cue the twisty turny thing that only happens when I think about Bella.

Fuck.

"Thanks for reminding me, dipshit." I growl.

It's not like I'd forget anyway because it's pretty much all I've thought about all day. All week really, since Coach mentioned the scrimmage on Monday after practice and Bella and I talked about it that night on the phone. This entire first week at school has been nothing short of incredible. Even with all the comments and stares, getting to see Bella everyday, being able to touch her and kiss her and hold her hand, has been everything I thought it would be and more.

She's been amazing. I know it hasn't been easy for her. Not at all. No matter how much she smiles and tries to make everyone else think otherwise, I know better. Oh, she's enjoying meeting everyone and dare I say, she really likes being with me as much as I do her, but that doesn't mean that everything is hunky-dory. I see it. I can tell when she sort of curls in on herself and shuts down. There's a look that passes over her face; it's sort of blank with her eyes pinched and a dip between her eyebrows, and usually it's accompanied by her bottom lip firmly in place between her teeth. Sometimes it only lasts a few seconds, sometimes it's an entire class period, but then it's gone again.

I feel the bench shake and look to my right. "Seriously, man, what the hell is the deal between you and the very fine Miss Swan? One minute you're single and fighting off Heidi at your birthday, and the next you're attached at the lips to the hottest girl, besides Rosalie Hale, to ever grace the halls of Forks High. What gives?" Garrett asks with a shit-eating grin on his face.

The locker room suddenly gets very quiet and feels incredibly stuffy. Sweaty shin guards, at least four different kinds of Axe, and the lingering scent of bleach mixes with the dank, musty smell of the showers, making it hard to breathe. It may also be the fact that everyone is staring at me.

Motherfucker.

Bella and I talked about this after the first day of school … which I still think she handled like a champ. She disagrees, of course, because she's stubborn and is way too hard on herself - a trait of hers I'm going to change if it kills me. But when we talked on the phone that night, we agreed to keep the details as vague as possible, but still get the point across. Jasper, Emmett, Alice, and Rose knowing exactly what went down is one thing, sharing the particulars with anyone else kind of makes me sick to my stomach. There is no way I'm listening to anyone cheapen what Bella and I shared this summer. I'll kill the first fucker that starts talking shit.

In a heartbeat.

"We met, we clicked, we talked, and got to know each other; now we're together. What's so hard to figure out?" I ask nonchalantly as I stand up.

"How did you meet?"

"Where did you meet?"

"Where was she when we partied for your birthday?"

"Why haven't you said anything?"

"Why didn't we meet her before school started?"

"Did you tap that?"

"Is she any good?"

The questions come flying from all sides, not just from Garrett. Alec, Mike, Eric, and Tyler all chime in and I can't help but feel cornered like a girl in a dark alleyway being stalked by a gang of drunken thugs.

I clench my fingers, making tight fists, so tight that I can feel my fingernails gouging the skin of my palms. Breathing deeply, I try to calm the churning in my stomach and the overwhelming, irrational need to lash out. These are my friends - assholes some of them - but friends nonetheless. I've known them most of my life and frankly, honestly, I'd be worried if they weren't giving me shit … but this is Bella they're talking about.

My Bella.

Drummer Girl.

Alec chuckles before he throws an arm around Tyler's shoulders. He lifts his chin as he glances at me and says, "Looks like there's already trouble in paradise. Maybe I'll see if the delectable Bella wants to kick it tonight … go to First Beach and take a walk, just the two of us, with nothing but the moon and the stars to keep us company. Or hell, maybe I'll drop by her house. From what I hear, she's all alone except for some nanny kind of person and a mom that's knocking on death's door. I'm sure she could use the company …"

Before he can utter one more disgusting word, we're nose to nose and I'm breathing fire.

"Stay the fuck away from Bella," I say through teeth clenched so hard that my head throbs. My entire body is vibrating, like a powder keg just waiting for the tiniest spark so that it can explode.

Jasper and Emmett close in beside me, probably to keep me from trying to kill the motherfucking asshat. I want to, fuck do I want to, but I force myself to relax my shoulders infinitesimally. It's enough for the red that blurred my vision just a moment ago to fade away.

"Whoa, man." Alec smirks, looking half afraid and half pissed at the same time. "I was just kidding. Jesus, Cullen." He looks at me like I've lost my damn mind, and for second there, I did.

Fuck.

"What the hell's going on in here? Are you boys having a tea party I didn't get invited to, or do you think you can move your butts out to the field so we can play some soccer?" Coach barks as he storms into the locker room.

"Sorry, Coach, guess your invitation got lost in the mail," Emmett quips and the tension that's filled the air dissipates instantly when everyone laughs.

"Funny, McCarty, real funny. Now move it, all of you, before I decide to make you run bleachers."

We grab our bags and follow Emmett and Coach out of the locker room and toward the field.

"My friend, you are so fucked." Jasper chuckles under his breath as he falls in step beside me.

I glower at him, but when he wiggles his eyebrows, I can't help but let the corners of my mouth lift in the semblance of a smile. "Christ, Jas, I've never experienced anything like that. What the fuck's the matter with me?"

"Ahhh, young grasshopper." He laughs. "You two have been in your little Edward and Bella bubble for three months, and now, you're both out in the big, bad world where douchebags like Alec reside. Get used to it. Bella's the shiny new toy and everyone wants to play with her. It's only natural. I mean shit, when's the last time someone new moved to Forks? When Brandon Jenkins came to town when we were freshmen? And he's not half as mysterious or special as Bella." He laughs even louder when I growl at him.

"Don't let Ali hear you call another girl special, Jasper, or you'll be in trouble." I huff, annoyed that he can be so rational while I feel like I'm going crazy.

"Shut the fuck up," he says as he shakes his head at me, totally unfazed by my trying to turn the tables on him. "You know Alec didn't mean anything; he's harmless. A fuckwit, but harmless. No one's ever seen you all ga-ga over a girl before, so it's big news. Top it off with a girl, a beautiful one no less, that's pretty much popped up out of nowhere as far as most of them are concerned, and you've got yourself the juiciest bit of news since Mrs. Stanley was caught with the lawn guy last summer."

"Damn," I mutter, knowing he's right, as I drop my bag down on the ground. I start to stretch a bit, feeling the pull and the burn as I move my body.

I bend over and reach toward the ground, letting my muscles loosen. When I stand back up, the most intense, delicious, and frankly dick-stirring sensation fills me.

Bella.

I twist and look up. Sure enough, there she is. Sitting about halfway up the bleachers looking as gorgeous and hot as can be. God, she's something else. The day's been warm and bright and I can see the sunlight bounce off her hair. Streaks of crimson mix with mahogany and my fingers twitch. I want to feel it. I know how soft and silky those strands are, seeing as they're constantly wound around the tips of my fingers every day in Spanish.

It's a wonder I squeaked by to pass my first test. I don't think I've heard one word SeƱora Guzman has spoken all week. Thank goodness a few of the guys on our Premier League team are Hispanic and speak Spanish. Of course most of the words they've taught us are the curse words, but they've managed to teach us all a few other things as well.

I can't take my eyes off her and when I see her laugh at something Alice says, the twisty turny thing comes out in full force.

Christ, I love her.

Like hard core, no holds barred, I'll take a motherfucker out if they get in my way, love her.

Sometimes what I feel for her is intense and overpowering, but it's also gentle and soothing, like flannel sheets in the middle of winter. I want her, always, but I want to comfort her, help her, be there for her … love her even more. She's been so fucking amazing this week. Joking around with Emmett, most of the time at my expense. Getting to know Angela. Spending time talking cars with Rose, or history with Jasper at lunch. Chatting about dance with Alice as we walk from class to class … she's blown me away by how strong she is.

Every damn day, there's always something she does or says that takes my breath away. Whether it's seeing her smile, or hearing her laugh … or especially when she sighs all breathless and sexy-like when I kiss her, it makes me realize how crazy I am about her and how much was missing in my life before I stumbled across her in the woods.

She must feel my eyes on her because she turns from Alice with the most incredible smile and gives me a little wave.

If I didn't think I'd make a total pussy out of myself I'd blow her a kiss, but settle for a wink and manly chin lift.

I'm such a fool for her, it's not even funny.

"You are one lucky bastard, Cullen. If you fuck things up with her, I'll kick your ass then swoop in and take your place before she even has time to miss you," Alec says as he walks up beside me.

Bella laughs at Alice again and then looks my direction one more time. I can see her eyes sparkle, even from here, and I shake my head and face Alec. "Keep dreaming, Walker. There's no way in hell you'll ever get the chance."

"Like I said, Cullen," he grins as we head toward the middle of the field to listen to Coach, "you're a lucky bastard."

I look over my shoulder at Bella one last time and think about what I want to ask her after practice.

"Don't I know it," I murmur before sliding my captain's band on my arm and taking my place in the center beside Emmett.

I can't wait to see Bella when we're done. Tonight could be a very good night.

~~~~OOO~~~~OOO~~~~

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...:

    love this story. i hope they go on a real date soon so we can see them interact outside of school.