DaPK Chapter 10 - Shielding

Monday, July 02, 2012

~~~~OOO~~~~OOO~~~~~

Chapter 10 - Shielding

EPOV

I'm in trouble.

Lots and lots of trouble.

The quirk of Dad's left eyebrow, and the slight tilt of Mom's head, coupled with her narrowed eyes, leave little room for doubt. And even bigger signs of my impending doom - Bella's fingernails are digging into the palm of my hand and the fact that she hasn't taken a breath since we walked through the door.

It's like a moment in a movie, when everything freezes for a few frames, music plays in the background, the beat ramping up the tension until it's so thick you can feel it. Goosebumps break out, covering your skin. The hair on the back of your neck and on your arms stands on end. Your heart pounds, blood echoes in your ears, and chills walk up and down your spine. You have no idea what's coming next, but whatever it is, it's going to be huge.

Huge, as in bringing your girlfriend home for the first time.

I give my dad a look, silently screaming for help. The flash of a smirk lets me know he's going to enjoy my imminent ass kicking from my two favorite girls far too much. I shiver at the thought. The only other thing that can cause my balls to shrivel to the size of marbles is when Rose is pissed at me ... which thank fuck doesn't really happen too often.

Dad throws me a lifeline - one which I'm sure I'll have to repay. Probably by cleaning out the garage.

"Bella, it's so nice to see you again," he says warmly and with a very genuine smile on his face as he steps forward.

"You, too, Dr. Cullen." Bella smiles back. Her voice shakes, and I squeeze her hand to try to get her to relax. Or I think I squeeze; I still can't feel my fingers.

"Bella, it's so nice to meet you. I've heard so many wonderful things about you ... from my husband," Mom gushes as she takes her place next to my dad, then gives me a pointed look, letting me know that yes, I most definitely am in for it when dinner is over. "You're just as lovely as he said."

"Thank you. It's good to meet you, too. Edward's talked about you both so much." Bella turns to smile at me. Her cheeks are pink and her eyes are bright and I can't help but chuckle a little bit when she puffs her cheeks then exhales.

She takes my breath away.

"Mmmm, what do you have there?" Mom asks.

Bella squeaks adorably and hands the plate to Mom. "Ahhh, sorry! These are for dessert. I hope it was okay to bring something?"

"Oh, they're simply delightful! Carlisle, come see!" Mom grabs Dad's elbow and tugs so hard he stumbles over his feet. "Don't they look delicious? Come, Bella, let's take these to the kitchen where they'll be safe from those two." She grins at Dad and me while Bella looks like a scared kitten. "You can tell me your recipe." Mom hooks her hand in Bella's elbow and starts to lead her away, but reaches out with her other hand and places her fingers beneath my dad's chin. His mouth is hanging open and seriously, there's a bit of drool in the corner.

"Close your mouth, honey, it looks like Bella's made plenty."

We all laugh at Dad. I want so badly to reach out and grab Bella's hand and pull her back to me, but I don't.

Mom and Bella take a few more steps before Mom turns around and looks at me over her shoulder. "By the way, Edward, you might want to put that container in your room. That way when you give it back to Bella, you can give her the other one, too. You know, the one you brought with you to camp?"

Ah shit. I'm so busted.

Bella's eyes go wide; they're almost frantic when she looks at me. I try to give her a smile to reassure her, but I've swallowed my tongue and I can't breathe.

Mom giggles and then wraps an arm around Bella's rigid shoulders. I watch, entranced, as she leans in and whispers something in Bella's ear. Her soft laugh causes my heart to start beating again and then of course it flies away when she nods at my mom and they both laugh over whatever secret they've just shared. I can't take my eyes off Bella, even as she disappears with my mom.

I love her so much it's ridiculous.

Dad clears his throat beside me. "So, son, you got your own cookies I see."

"Yep." I smirk and waggle my eyebrows. "And they're all mine, too, old man, so hands off. Bella made more than enough for you guys."

He claps a hand on my shoulder. "Now, I know that your mother and I taught you to respect your elders, so hand one over and I'll forget to mention to her that there seems to be a section of her flower garden missing."

Oh no he didn't.

He holds his hand out and waits. Huffing and giving him the most annoyed glare I can, I open the lid. The aroma of vanilla and butter and sugar escapes and Dad and I both inhale, moaning appreciatively. I stare at the frosted bits of decadence. My mouth waters and I stick my tongue out, sampling the sugar cookie-scented air.

My girl is a fucking genius in the kitchen. Granted, I've never eaten anything of hers besides cookies, but still. I know she is. She has to be.

Dad wiggles his fingers and I take my sweet ass time deliberating which cookie to give him. Today she's made flowers, I'm guessing in honor of my mom. Most are covered with light pink frosting and some have multicolored sprinkles while others are decorated with squiggly lines of lime green, pale yellow, lavender, or sky blue. I give him one with the squiggly lines … no way I'm sharing my sprinkles, not even with him.

"Give me two and you don't have to take the trash out tonight."

I pick another one out and start to hand it to him.

"One with sprinkles." He smirks.

I snatch my hand back, shaking my head. "Uh uh, no way. Bella knows how much I love the ones with the sprinkles - they're my favorite."

"Fine." He huffs, sounding inordinately put out, like he's doing me a huge favor by giving in.

As if.

I'll take the trash out every night if I have to in order to keep all the sprinkles for myself.

"Don't spoil your dinner or Mom'll be upset," I quip as I head toward the stairs.

"Oh my God." Dad moans as he takes his first bite. I can't help but laugh. It seems I'm not the only one slightly obsessed with Bella's cookies. Okay, I might be more than slightly obsessed. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I get almost to the top of the stairs when I hear Dad's shocked voice, "Holy shit, these are the same as the kind left at the hospital all summer."

I chuckle. He'll figure it all out before too long.

I walk into my room and set the container on my desk, resisting the urge to eat a few myself.

My phone vibrates; it's a text from Jasper: Does B have Dr and Mama C wrapped around her finger yet?

He knows my parents so well.

I tap the button to call him back seeing as how I have a few minutes. Only a few though. I already miss Bella.

"Yo, dude, didn't anyone ever tell you it's not cool to talk on the phone at the dinner table?"

"You are such an idiot." I laugh. "You know Mom would have my ass if we were eating and I was on the phone."

"So, what'd they think of her? Where is she? What did Esme make for dinner?" he fires at me. I swear, he's such a chick about this kind of stuff.

"I'm pretty sure they both love her already, but I can't tell for sure yet. Mom already stole her and dragged her to the kitchen. Dad is inhaling the cookies that he bribed me for, so she's golden with him."

He moans. "Bella made cookies? When is she going to make some more for the rest of us?"

Oh yeah. Bella has left all kinds of cookie monsters in her wake. As long as she remembers that I'm the most important one, then we're all good.

"You can ask her tomorrow. Just make sure you don't let Emmett hear you say the word 'cookie.'" We both laugh at that because Emmett's almost as bad as I am, though he's a hell of a lot more shameless about it than me. By a long shot.

He snorts and I can almost see him rolling his eyes. "Are you kidding me? Bella's got that boy so turned inside out it's ridiculous. Besides Rose, I've never seen Emmett act like an idiot over a girl before ... well, except for Annie McGregor when we were in the seventh grade."

He's not kidding either. Between Rose and Emmett, it's a wonder any of us have managed to spend any time at all with Bella at school. One or both of them is always talking her ear off, dragging her through the hallway or perched beside her at lunch … basically trying to cut into my time with her. If I didn't know how much Bella needed to feel welcomed and like she belonged, I'd be pissed. But I do know. I also know it's important for Bella to develop her own friendships with people other than me, even if they happen to be with people I've known almost my whole life.

As much as I want to keep her to myself, I know I have to share. Doesn't mean I have to like it, but I'll do it for her. Honestly, it makes me damn happy to see her get closer to Emmett and Rose. They're good for her. Emmett makes her laugh, which she does far too little of in my opinion, and Rose, well she just gets Bella. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but she does, just like I knew she would.

My girl, she's dealt with so much. It's incredible to watch her find her way and let go, even if it's only a little bit at a time. Eventually she'll find her wings and be ready to fly.

As long as she takes me with her …

I've stopped talking long enough for Jasper to ask, "Hey, everything okay?"

Intuitive bastard. I swear, next year when we're not at the same school, I'll probably get phone calls in the middle of the night making sure I don't need to talk about my feelings or some shit.

"Yeah." I sigh and lean against the window in my room.

"That doesn't sound like a 'holy shit, my hot girlfriend's in my house' kind of sigh, Edward. What is it?"

"I just worry sometimes that this is all too much for her. You guys, school, everyone else at school, meeting my parents, dealing with her mom, having Phil so far away all the time. It's so fucking much, Jas. She's trying so hard, but I know it's overwhelming. How could it not be? She's pulled in different directions, all the time. By me, by her responsibilities. She wants to act like a normal teenager, but the whole fucked-up situation with her mom makes her so scared. Like last night, she wanted to go over to your house and hang out with us, but she couldn't make herself leave her mom. Then she was worried I was mad and you guys were disappointed, and then felt guilty because she wanted to stay home. How is she supposed to deal with all that shit?" I bang my head against the glass … a lot more frustrated than I let myself believe I was.

He laughs a little bit and says in his very annoying pain in the ass way, "You just wanted her there so the two of you could make-out with her like the rest of us were. Not that I blame you."

"Shut up, fucker." I huff, but laugh back.

He's not wrong though. Not about the making-out part. Just remembering Friday night makes my shorts way too fucking tight and I reach down and adjust before it gets painful. Touching her, her touching me, kissing her … feeling her, it was better than I ever imagined it would be. I want more of it, lots more of it. More of her, more of being with her.

"It makes me feel like such an asshole sometimes, because I want to be with her all the time, and then get mad because I can't."

As much as it makes me sound like a prick to say it out loud, it feels fucking good to finally get that off my chest.

"She's your girlfriend, you're crazy about her, so of course you want to be with her all the time. That doesn't make you an asshole, it makes you a horny eighteen-year-old, just like all of us other eighteen-year-olds," he says calmly, though I can tell he wants to roll his eyes at me. I bet he is anyway.

Jackass.

"I don't just want sex with Bella. I mean I do want it; I'm a guy so of course I do, but not only that. Fuck, I can't even explain what I want." I rub my chest with my hand because it's tight and it feels like I can't get enough air into my lungs.

"Edward." He sighs. "It's okay to be frustrated. All of this is new for Bella, but it's hard for you, too. You've spent all summer watching her and getting to know her, training for camp, worrying about tryouts, college, and her. School this week's been crazy, we had a scrimmage on Friday, you were with Bella Friday night, us last night, and today she's meeting your parents. Cut yourself a fucking break, man. You don't have to always have everything under control, you know. No matter how much you want to, it's not gonna happen. So, try to chill the hell out and get ready to grub on some of your mom's awesome cooking. What did she make anyway? You didn't answer me." He changes the subject so smoothly that it takes me a moment to realize what he's done, but when I do, I take a deep breath then let it go.

He's always doing shit like that. Saying what needs to be said, then dropping it just as fast. He made his point, now he'll let me think about it.

It's what he does … and he's damn good at it, too.

I laugh, knowing I'm about to drive him crazy. "Fried chicken, homemade mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese, salad and biscuits. Oh, and not only do we get cookies, but Mom made apple pie, too."

He curses, growling louder with each one. "Sorry, Jasper. Mom wanted to go all out today … and that was before she knew it was Bella that was coming for dinner."

He snorts. "Holy shit, you didn't tell them who she was? You, my friend, are either incredibly stupid or fucking brilliant. Call me later and tell me how it goes - that is if you're not in a coma from all that food. Oh, and don't forget we have to run tomorrow, so keep that in mind when Mama C tries to get you to eat just one more scoop of mac and cheese."

I hang up on his laughing ass, feeling a lot better.

I knew I was getting frustrated. Not at Bella, never her, but at everything else. Jasper wasn't wrong about the past week - it was fucking nuts. Intense and exciting and nerve-wracking and the best week ever all rolled into one. Now that Mom and Dad know about Bella, and once I get through the third degree that there is no getting out of, I hope things can settle down some.

I'm more than ready to be just Edward and Bella.

Deciding my mom has monopolized my girlfriend long enough, I head back downstairs. My phone vibrates again. Rose this time.

Thinking about you and Bella, call me later!

My friends fucking rock.

I drop my phone back into my pocket as I step into the kitchen, ready to collect my girl because I've been without her for far too long, but the sight in front of me freezes me in place.

One of Mom's hands rests on Bella's cheek, the other brushes a wayward strand of hair behind her ear. The action is so motherly, so tender, that I lose my breath. My chest tightens and the corners of my eyes sting with the onslaught of unexpected tears. I've never, ever, loved my mother more than right this minute as I watch her with Bella.

Bella needs this, needs the comfort and security of a mother so much.

"She's a very special girl," Dad says quietly as he stands beside me watching the poignant moment.

"She's everything."

It's the only thing I can say, but it says it all.

Dad gasps then looks at me, searching, probing. "You love her."

Not a question but a statement.

"With my whole heart and all that I am."

There's no hesitation, not even the tiniest waver in my voice. It's as easy to admit as breathing.

"You know her mother …" he says after a heavy pause.

I nod. "I know. But Bella's strong, so much stronger than she thinks she is."

"And her step-dad, he's …"

I turn and look at my dad. Confusion and worry as plain as day on his face. "I know, Dad. I know it all."

His eyes widen then narrow and I know his mind's going a mile a minute putting things together.

"I don't want to know how it's possible you are close enough to already have those feelings for her and know so much about her, do I?"

I scoff and then grin, shaking my head. "No, probably not."

I'm not lying. He really doesn't want to know and it goes without saying how much I don't want to tell him. Ever.

It's not so much that I'm worried about what he and my mom will say. They love me and trust me and I don't think I've done anything they would be too upset about. The watching her, maybe, but it's not like I used a telescope and watched Bella undress or take a shower. Watching her like I did is a little out there, even I can admit that, but it all turned out okay in the end.

Right?

That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

"Son," Dad says and his voice is laced with emotion. He lifts a hand and rests it on my shoulder and I can feel his concern flowing through his fingers. "Do you really know what you're getting yourself into? Bella is a lovely young woman, don't get me wrong, and I'm thrilled, ecstatic even, to see you so happy. But things with her mom and dealing with the guilt and the heartache she's sure to suffer from when RenĂ©e's body finally gives up … it's going to be hard. Are you ready for that?"

"I'll do whatever she needs me to do for her. Anything. I know what I'm doing, Dad, I promise. I love her."

I know there's more he wants to say. He wouldn't be Dad if he didn't, but it's not the time or the place for it.

"Trust me," I tell him before stepping into the kitchen, unable to stay away from Bella any longer.

"What are my two favorite girls up to in here?" I grin as I walk forward.

Mom rubs Bella's arm in a gesture meant to reinforce whatever she's just said to her and Bella's answering smile makes me smile. She looks so happy. And beautiful. And perfect.

And at home.

I can't even think about what that means right now - it's too much.

"Mom's not telling you lies about me, is she? She exaggerates. You can't believe a word that comes out of her mouth, I swear," I say as I wrap my arm around Bella's shoulder.

Having her next to me settles the explosion of nerves that have just erupted; they're gone as fast as they came. Not that they won't be back, because holy hell, between words like forever and home and everything, my mind's spinning way out of control.

"So if your mom was just telling me that you were the best son in the whole wide world, she's exaggerating about that?" Bella teases with a soft jab of her elbow in my side.

"Well, if she said that, then absolutely not. You should believe every word the brilliant woman says."

The smile on Mom's face when she sees Bella slide her arm around my waist and press herself closer to me makes me feel almost as good as Bella does being near enough for me to smell the intoxicating blend of peppermint and sugar cookies that never fails to turn me on.

Not the best thing to have happen standing less than two feet from your mom, but whatever. It's not like I can do anything about it. By this point, I can't stop it even if I wanted to.

"Carlisle," Mom calls to my dad as he walks in to join us. "Come help me carry everything to the table. Edward, you and Bella grab the lemonade and the iced tea, please, then we can all sit down to eat."

She and my dad walk out, loaded with platters and dishes, leaving us alone for a few precious moments. I turn Bella so that she's facing me and lean against the island, pulling her between my legs. I reach for her hands, taking one in each of mine and link our fingers together. So good. Jesus, the way it feels when I touch her. Warm and tingly and just so fucking incredible. I can't get enough, not ever. Not of her. Not of the way she smells or tastes or sounds when I kiss her, or when she laughs. Not of the way her voice shakes and gets all breathless and sexy when I press myself against her, or suck on the skin behind her ear.

I want her.

Always.

With me.

Forever.

"You okay?" I ask, forcing myself to focus on her, on the here and now.

She nods and the sweet smile on her face lets me know she really is. "Your parents are wonderful, Edward. Your dad is even nicer than he was before and your mom …" She sighs and I squeeze her hands to let her know I know what she's feeling … even if I don't, not totally. "Your mom is amazing."

"Eh, she's all right I suppose." I grin and shrug my shoulders when she scowls at me.

I know this is a touchy subject for her and I never know quite how to handle it. I love my mom. I've never been afraid to admit it or embarrassed to show it. And I know how much Bella wants to be able to do the same thing, to have her mom with her, even though she can't. I hate it, knowing that I have something she wants so badly and I can't give it to her.

Bella retreats like I expected. Her eyes stare off into the distance, her bottom lip immediately caught between her teeth and her mouth turns down in the tiniest bit of a frown. It doesn't last long, a few seconds at most, just long enough for her to pull herself together. When her eyes find mine, they're glassy and they break my heart.

"I love you," I tell her. I won't tell her it's okay when we both know it's not.

"Love you, too," she whispers.

I lean forward and kiss her. It's not anywhere near as long as I want or need it to be, but it's long enough that I hear her breathing change and feel the heat of her blush.

"Edward," Mom calls from the dining room, bringing our little moment to a close.

For now.

"Come on, we better get in there before they start without us. Dad!" I holler, pulling the pitchers out of the fridge and kicking the door closed with my foot as I turn around. "Save me the drumsticks."

I set the pitchers down on the table and then pull out Bella's chair before I take my seat beside her. Mom is on one end, Dad on the other. The table is covered with food and my mouth waters. Seriously, my mom makes the best fried chicken.

"Bella, dear, I hope there's plenty here you like to eat. Edward didn't mention anything specific when he told me we were having a guest for dinner." Ah, it's nice to see she's going to make me suffer for a bit.

"No, it looks great, Mrs. Cullen," Bella answers as she lays her napkin in her lap.

"Esme, sweetheart. Now, let's dig in before it gets cold."

Plates are passed and food is piled on. My dad keeps watching me, I'm watching Bella, and Mom watches the two of us. It's weird, but whatever. There's food to eat and my girl is next to me, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned. Small talk commences as the drinks are poured.

Dad hands me the bowl of salad and I serve some to Bella, making sure to pick out the tomatoes.

"What?" I question when both my dad and Mom are staring at me slack-jawed and wide-eyed.

"She doesn't like tomatoes. Ketchup yes, but tomatoes, no. I know it's strange but it's not like Dad and his buttermilk."

Bella giggles as she takes her plate from me. "Don't knock it, Edward, it's good."

"Thank you, Bella. I've been trying to get him to try it for years but he's too chicken." Dad laughs and then smirks at me. "See, I told you. Listen to her, you might like it."

I whip my head around and look at Bella, incredulous and honestly a tiny bit grossed-out. "And you want me to kiss you after that? No way, baby. That's just … yuck. I love you, but no." I shiver and shake my head; just thinking about it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Dad chokes on the iced tea he unfortunately just took a drink of and Mom, well she looks like she wants to cry and laugh and probably kiss me all over my face.

Sometimes my parents are so odd.

I grin at Bella and then take a bite of my mac and cheese. Everyone else digs in and before long Dad has Bella talking about Phoenix.

This … having her here with me and my parents, laughing and sharing, is about the most perfect thing ever.

~~~~OOO~~~~OOO~~~~

0 comments: